About Tatton Park
Tatton Park, England's Large Visitor Attraction of the Year in 2014, is one of the North West’s most popular heritage attractions. Over 800,000 visits are made each year to the 1,000 acres of deer park, Mansion, Gardens, Old Hall, rare breeds Farm and events.
There is evidence of human occupation on this site since 8,000BC. Archaeological surveys show that Stone Age people hunted here and that there was farming activity in the Bronze Age. The parkland has been home to herds of deer since 1290.
In the late Tudor period Tatton was acquired by the Egerton family who owned the estate until Maurice, 4th and last Baron Egerton of Tatton died without heirs in 1958. Maurice Egerton bequeathed the estate to the National Trust and in 1960 a lease was drawn up with Cheshire County Council who managed and financed the property on behalf of the National Trust until April 2009 when responsibility transferred to Cheshire East Council.
Cheshire East Council came into being on April 1st 2009. The third largest unitary Council in the North West it delivers high quality services to over 360,000 residents. The management and financing of Tatton Park sits within the Council’s Visitor Economy Department, within the Regeneration Service, part of the Council’s Places Directorate.
The National Trust is a charity which is completely independent of Government. The charity works to preserve and protect the coastline, countryside and buildings of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Tatton Park is owned by the National Trust.
The Tatton Park Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1111357) that supports the conservation of Tatton Park for current and future generations. The Trust raises funds to meet its charitable objectives. The sale in 2006 of the right to use the M1 registration on the highway provided the initial funds for the Trust’s work. The Trust will continue to seek further funds from donations, bequests and fundraising activities.