About Tatton Park
Tatton Park, England's Large Visitor Attraction of the Year in
2014, is one of the North West’s most popular heritage attractions.
Over 800,000 visits are made each year to the 1,000 acres of deer
park, Mansion, Gardens, Old Hall, rare breeds Farm and events.
There is evidence of human occupation on this site since
8,000BC. Archaeological surveys show that Stone Age people hunted
here and that there was farming activity in the Bronze Age. The
parkland has been home to herds of deer since 1290.
In the late Tudor period Tatton was acquired by the Egerton
family who owned the estate until Maurice, 4th and last Baron
Egerton of Tatton died without heirs in 1958. Maurice Egerton
bequeathed the estate to the National Trust and in 1960 a lease was
drawn up with Cheshire County Council who managed and financed the
property on behalf of the National Trust until April 2009 when
responsibility transferred to Cheshire East Council.
Council came into being on April 1st 2009. The third largest
unitary Council in the North West it delivers high quality services
to over 360,000 residents. The management and financing of Tatton
Park sits within the Council’s Visitor Economy Department, within
the Regeneration Service, part of the Council’s Places
Trust is a charity which is completely independent of
Government. The charity works to preserve and protect the
coastline, countryside and buildings of England, Wales and Northern
Ireland. Tatton Park is owned by the National Trust.
The Tatton Park
Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1111357) that
supports the conservation of Tatton Park for current and future
generations. The Trust raises funds to meet its charitable
objectives. The sale in 2006 of the right to use the M1
registration on the highway provided the initial funds for the
Trust’s work. The Trust will continue to seek further funds from
donations, bequests and fundraising activities.