This spectacular room is
all that survives of the early eighteenth century house at Tatton.
Its exuberant Rococo plasterwork decoration makes a very noticeable
contrast with the later Neo-Classical architecture of the rest of
the house, and was undoubtedly retained on account of its splendour
Since the late eighteenth century the Dining Room was
extensively used for entertaining, and as many as 43 guests were
recorded as dining on a single occasion in the late nineteenth
One of the most notable occasions of Egerton hospitality was the
visit to Tatton on the 2nd and 3rd May 1887, of their Royal
Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales, who were entertained
by Wilbraham, 2nd Baron Egerton of Tatton during their visit to
Manchester to open the Royal Jubilee Exhibition.
On both evenings 28 guests sat down to dinner, and afterwards
there were supper parties for 70 on the first night and 80 guests
on the second. Dinner was served upon a service of gold, and 116
bottles of champagne, claret and whisky were consumed in total.