Tatton Park Gardplessureens - Pleasure Grounds
Pleasure Grounds at Tatton Park are probably better known as the
‘playground’ of the garden for the family to enjoy.
One of the earliest features of Tatton Park's garden is the Maze
which was on a very early plan of 1700 and is based on the same
format as the maze at Hampton
Court. Although it is deciduous, it was originally planted with
Hornbeam, however, over a period of years more Beech has been
The first formal garden at Tatton was the area known as
Charlotte's Lawn, designed by Lewis Wyatt to complement the Library
furnishings of Tatton's Mansion in
The trend at the time was ‘Gardenesque’. The design consisted of an
intricate flower garden containing many small beds which
accommodated single plants of botanical interest of the time. This
area has been partially restored.
Tatton's Topiary is located near here and was a feature
originally introduced by the Romans and revived by the Victorians
though it was then much bigger than at present. Today it still
retains the style of a typical Victorian garden - the central
feature being a peacock.
The Italian garden at the front of Tatton Park's mansion was
designed by Joseph Paxton and reflected the opulence of the period
of the Italian ‘grand tour’ by the young gentlemen of the
Further gardens developed over time including the Rose Garden
which was laid out in 1913 for Lady Egerton, wife of Alan de Tatton and is both feminine and intimate;
the Tower Garden, which in contrast has a more masculine feel and
is dominated by a tower which would once have been used to watch
for sheep stealing on Tatton's parkland and the Japanese garden inspired by a visit to the
Anglo-Japanese Exhibition at the White City in London in 1910.
The pleasure gardens also contain massive planting of
Rhododendron and Azalea which set the place ‘ablaze’ in Spring with
their amazing colours.
Also on the west side of the garden, and not to be missed, is
the Arboretum containing many rare conifers which were brought back
from some of the more famous plant hunting expeditions in which the
family were involved. Tours of the arboretum take place the 2nd,
3rd and 4th Sunday each month from March 24th - Sep 30th 2013
(excluding April 1st and Jul 28th) at 2pm. Book on the day at the
Other notable features include the Rose Garden Tea House; Broad
Walk; The Choragic Monument which was a copy of the Temple of
Lysicrates in Greece (literally means “Chorus” as it was the
meeting point for the choir practice of townspeople for a national
choir festival); and the African Hut which was built during the war
to remind Maurice Egerton of his estate in
Njoro, Kenya which is now Egerton University.